DMV Information and Prices For 17+ Students


Going to the DMV is an important step in starting a driver training course or practicing driving for those 17 and over.  Please take this step seriously -  if you do not take the required documents they will turn you away.  If you are not sure about anything please go to their website, review the Idaho Drivers Manual, or call any DMV -  it is best to call any DMV other than the Ada County.  Ada County DMV employees are always busy and you might be put on hold for a while.


Under 17 Students...

If you are 14 1/2 to 16 years old you must take a driver training course in order to get a driver's license in Idaho.  First go to the DMV located at 400 N Benjamin Ln # 102 to get your instruction permit.  (Phone number 208-577-3135).  


Required Documents for the DMV...


1. Proof of Age and Identity:  If you do not have a state-issued ID card then you must bring...

  The original birth certificate and a school photo ID card or yearbook.

2. Social Security Card or Number for Verification.  It's okay if you don't have the card, but you do need the number.  The DMV will verify it.

3. Proof of Idaho Residency.  Pay stub, utility bills, school enrollment records are all acceptable.  (I would bring at least 2 items just in case.)

4. Acceptable Lawful Presence Documents (if applicable)

5. Foreign Driver’s License (if applicable)

6. Visual/Medical Certification (if applicable)

7. Driver Training Completion (if under 17) This applies only when finished with Driver's Ed.

8. Liability Signer (if under 18).  Birth parent or legal guardian must sign paperwork.

9. Verification of School Compliance "VOC" (if under 18) Available at your school.  Your student can get this from the school secretary.  Home schooled students won't have a VOC - tell the DMV your homeschooled.


The DMV will ask which driving school you are using...

If you are certain you will choose Ultra Safe then please tell the DMV "Ultra Safe Advanced Driver Training".  "Ultra Safe" will probably be fine - they have a list of schools in their computer.  If you are not sure which school you will use, please tell them the school district your student attends (such as West Ada or Boise Schools).  Bring the DMV receipt to the parent meeting.

Printable DMV Checklist



17 Year Old Students

If you are...


17 and want to take our full, regular driving course (before you take the written test)

     You can choose to take the regular driver training course in which you will follow the same procedures as students under 17.  When you go to the DMV you will tell them which Ultra Safe Driving and they will mail us a Supervised Instruction Permit.  A Supervised Instruction Permit allows you to drive only in a driver training car.  No matter what age you are you will only receive your permit after passing the driving and online class portion.  You will be required to take the Idaho Online Driver Education online course.  When the program is complete you can take your driving test at any time afterwards.  The 6 month supervised driving period is not necessary.  After the driving test you will take the envelope with your driving test evaluations to the dmv and then take the written test while you are there.  Cost is $385.

17 and want to get your permit first - and then take some driving lessons 

     You can take the written test at the DMV in which you will receive an Instruction Permit allowing you to practice driving in any car.  Either way you will need to take all the required documents listed above to the DMV.  Once you receive your permit you will not need to take the online course but you will still do all the same drives as students under 17. 

Cost is $350.